I often ask guests why they choose the Somerville when they find us online. It is important to us to know what customers like! (We also value being able to identify areas we can improve on.) Looking back at the last few months, the most common reasons customers give for picking us are –
1. Adequate parking! Well, this perhaps isn’t surprising because we have excellent (and level) parking for all our guests, and that’s quite rare in Torquay.
2. Location. We think we have a fantastic location and a lot of customers agree, with the harbour just a five-minute walk away, all downhill! We certainly appreciate that it’s a bit more than five minutes on the way back as it’s uphill. However, it’s a reasonable incline rather than anything mountainous and, if you’re not feeling like it, a £3.50 trip in a taxi is the other option.
3. The quality of the beds and bathrooms. We must say we do pride ourselves on the quality of the beds here at The Somerville , and then we finish them with the highest-grade bed toppers to make them all really luxurious. Returning customers appreciate them and you’ve not stayed with us yet … well, please come and test them for yourselves.
4. Our garden attracts customers new and returning as well. After a day out exploring the area, coming back and sitting on our secluded terrace on soft-seated outdoor furniture with a glass of wine or cup of tea rounds off things nicely. Add-in Helen’s famous cakes and what’s not to like?!
5. Our breakfasts! As one of only a few five-star rated B&Bs in Torquay, we like to offer our guests an excellent range from our buffet, and this is very often complimented by our guests. Whether it’s Helen’s home baked bread, my choice of locally sourced cheeses or our wonderful thick-cut bacon from our butcher in Totnes , we believe in the produce of Devon and the South-West. I am 100% sure you will love breakfast when you’re staying with us, and the choices we offer include any special dietary needs and vegetarian choices.
Of course, as B&B owners we can’t get away from the modern world – and that includes Trip Advisor and all the other review sites that are now everyone’s reading before they book online. We try our best (and we know we sometimes can’t please everyone) but do, please, look at the reviews we get. I hope they will nudge you to book with us.
And don’t forget OUR RATES ARE THE BEST RATES – not those shown on the online travel agents’ sites! You can book via our web site or, best of all, call us: 01803 294755.
New Places To Eat
On to other things, and a new find of ours is the ‘Breakwater Bistro’. We took the Brixham ferry and headed towards Berry Head and came across this café/bistro … and the fish is absolutely fresh, simply cooked, wonderfully tasty – and with a view which is truly stunning!
If you ever need any advice on restaurants then, as regular readers will know, our passion is food and wine so always feel free to ask. (Indeed, if you are reading this and you are already booked-in with us, don’t forget how busy the area gets at weekends. If you want to eat in many of our recommendations then you will need to have a reservation.)
On the same general subject, we also found a gem of a country pub on the River Teign estuary. About five miles away, this also offers stunning views … but for purely selfish reasons you will have to come and ask me for more details in person. (I admit it, I love sitting there so much that I don’t want it spoilt by sending too many customers there!)
Well, that’s about it for now. July booking s are pretty full now and August bookings are coming in everyday, so do give me a ring soon to grab a room. It’s always nice to speak rather than play ping-pong email: 01803 294755.
Here’s for some more summer sun.
Peter and Helen.